There are a number of sources of funds for conducting your research – public (federal) agencies, private foundations and corporate funding, among other sources. Below please find a list of some of the granting agencies that that have funded Hopkins PhD students and postdoctoral fellows in the past (source: Hopkins SOM Office of Research Administration):
- Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation
- American Academy of Neurology
- American Association for Cancer Research
- American Cancer Society
- American Diabetes Association
- American Heart Association
- American Urological Association
- Brain and Behavior Research
- Burroughs Wellcome Fund
- Conquer Cancer Foundation
- Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America
- Damon Runyon Cancer Research Foundation
- Doris Duke Charitable Foundation
- Eli Lilly and Co
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute
- Milstein Medical Asian American Partnership Foundation
- Multiple Sclerosis Society of Canada
- Muscular Dystrophy Association
- National Ataxia Foundation
- National Multiple Sclerosis Society
- Rheumatology Research Foundation
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
- St. Baldrick’s Foundation
- Stetler Research Fund for Women
- Susan G Komen Breast Cancer Foundation
- Technology Development Corporation
Funding Databases and Search Tools
- The Foundation Directory Online: Comprehensive resource of more than 100,000 independent, community, corporate, and operating foundations, and public charities; access is available through the Welch Library.
- Grant Forward: Online database of federal and private funding opportunities that provides keyword search capability, email alert mechanisms, and is highly sortable (i.e. applicant type, deadline, source, grant type, etc.). This system may be used free of charge from any JHU IP address.
- Grants.gov: Comprehensive resource of federal funding opportunities, grant policies, grant learning center and more.
- The Welch Library: Overview of grants and funding opportunities for the Hopkins community
- JHU National Fellowships Program: Includes information on fellowships and scholarships, including NSF GRFP
- School of Medicine Office of Research Administration
- Johns Hopkins University Research Administration Manages sponsored projects administration for the Bloomberg School of Public Health, the Whiting School of Engineering, School of Education, School of Nursing, Carey School of Business, SAIS, and JHPIEGO.
- School of Nursing Office of Science and Innovation
- Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics: Database on funding opportunities.
National Institutes of Health
National Science Foundation
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute
- Burroughs Wellcome Fund: Numerous opportunities for biomedical scientists at the beginning of their careers.
Funding for Graduate Students
- JHURA provides a comprehensive list of funding opportunities for graduate students
Funding for Postdoctoral Fellows
- JHURA provides a comprehensive list of funding opportunities for postdoctoral fellows
Funding for International Trainees
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute International Student Research Fellowships: Supports outstanding international graduate students pursuing a PhD in the U.S. (Note: HHMI will not hold a 2017 competition for the International Student Research Fellowships)
- American Association of University Women International Fellowship: Supports full-time study or research in the U.S. for women who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents
Funding to Support Underrepresented Groups in the Sciences
- Ford Foundation Fellowship Program
- UNCF/Merck Graduate Science Research Dissertation Fellowship: Supports the training and development of African American biomedical scientists
- Burroughs Wellcome Fund Postdoctoral Enrichment Program: Supports the career development activities for underrepresented minority postdoctoral fellows.