In any career, clear communication is essential, and in academic research, one must be able to present their work effectively to many audiences. The resources below will help you create oral and poster presentations for conferences and seminars, scientific pitches for networking, and talks for general audiences.
- Dr. Doug Robinson provides tips on how to craft slides that are informative and complement your oral presentation.
- The Carey Business School’s Presentation Skills Workbook: A guide to preparing powerful presentations has advice on verbal and non-verbal presentation skills.
The Center for Educational Resources has instructional online videos for oral presentations, posters, and design principles.
- Best Practices for Effective Presentations
- Creating and Presenting your Poster
- PowerPoint Design Concept-White Space
- PowerPoint Design Concept-Visual Hierarchy
- Designing Effective Presentations-Fonts
- The NIH presentation Creating and Presenting Dynamic Scientific Posters will guide you through making and presenting a poster, and includes examples.
- Ten simple rules for a Good Poster Presentation, PLoS Computational Biology
Empower Your Pitch
Empower Your Pitch is a doctoral communication competition that develops the research communication skills of participants, enabling them to deliver diverse pitches to diverse people. The competition empowers presenters to communicate the value of their research at any stage of development and across all disciplines – including STEMM, Humanities, Education, and Social Sciences – in a maximum time frame of three minutes. Presenters may rely on assorted strategies to capture the audience’s attention, convey the essence of their research, and explain its relevance to their listeners.
Unlock the power of communication to share the full potential of your ideas – click here to learn more and register!
Scientific Pitches - 1-minute talks
Drs. Damani Piggott and Caren Freel Myers share their tips for crafting short, persuasive talks about one's research—without the use of slides or visual aids!